Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ketchup~Recipe #1

There is nothing like canning your own ketchup.  No preservatives just homemade goodness fresh from your garden.
Many people have asked about my recipe, so here it is...
Ketchup recipe #1
1 gallon thick tomato juice
2 1/3 c. sugar
2 t. celery seed
1 t. mixed pickling spices (tied in a small piece of cloth)
1 t. cayenne pepper
2 med. onions chopped
1 t. mustard seed
Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer until half in volume. Remove spice bag.  Then add...
1 1/4 c. vinegar
1 t. paprika
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. salt
Thicken with perma flo or clear jel.  For those of you who don't know where to get these, tomato paste will work.  I buy mine from the Amish. 

This is from an Amish book.  I bought a new book this year and there are 3 recipes.  This one is the first one that I'm trying.  Our family will go through 80-100 quarts of ketchup.  It is great on top of meatloaf.  This past spring was the first time in 3 years we had to buy ketchup.  So this was the first big project with our tomatoes because we didn't want to do that again. 
If you have a nesko roaster you could times this recipe by 4 and fill an 18 quart nesko. 

Pictures will be coming...it's still cooking as I'm typing this recipe...Mmmmm...does it smell good!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds totally awesome. I remember my parents making sweet chili sauce when I was a kid - all the tomatoes and spices cooking. Reading this just brings back some great growing up memories. Thanks Marlene. :)

    Some day, I hope to try at least ONE of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the processing steps and what is the yield for the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hot water bath for about 40 minutes...I got 12 quarts, but I did the recipe times 4.

    ReplyDelete