Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

An Online Cookie Swap




On Dec. 5 my fans from my soap page helped come up with this great list of baking ideas for the holidays. I announced the week before that we'd do this on this day so they had time to prepare some ideas.

Nancy was the first to submit a recipe. This sugar cookie looks great. She said, "I made this one for my kids. We didn't roll them, but made a tube, sliced the tube, then used press cookie cutters to emboss them with animal shapes. Easy, clean, with a playdoh like consistency. Irresistable, both raw and cooked."

Judy commented that this recipe for Pumpkin Pie Cake has become a family favorite. After looking at the recipe I think my aunt has made something similar to this.

Tiffany then stepped up to the plate (sorry for the pun) and suggested this recipe for making home made caramels. Funny thing is, my daughter Jacque and I were just talking about making caramels. Her and a friend made some this past weekend. :)

I've actually met the next participant, Patti owner of Grammas Gifts on Etsy and her blog. Chocolate peppermint pin wheel cookies....another thing I want to try.  They look so yummy!!!

I also met the next person, Peggy with a fun personality it didn't surprise me one bit that this recipe is one of her favorites...Pillsbury Refrigerator Cookies.  Don't believe be about her fun personality just take a look at her shop on Etsy.  

I've known Kelly online for many years, enough to know she's in love with Pink sugar and her family.  She blogged about her favorite recipes hot chocolate cookies and cherry white chocolate shortbread.

Seven Savvy Sisters from Etsy submitted this recipe they like to call Reindeer cookies...they omit the peanuts. We've made them too and used a mixture of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.  Gotta love the drop and leave types of goodies...so simple.

The Pampered Tush submitted the recipe Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies ...I love anything white chocolate.  Thanks Wendy for making me drool.

Julie from Doodle Bea Greeting Cards on Etsy submitted this chocolate no bake cookie recipe. Julie makes my reindeer poo cards and other occasional cards for me to send with packages.

Rebekah of Hoover Farms made these just today and said they are yummy. Cookie dough bites ....almost sounds like something we've make called cookie dough truffles. If they are anything like them you can't go wrong.

 Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
11 1/4 flour
5 t. baking powder
2 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/4 t. salt
1 1/4 t. nutmeg
3 1/8 c. shortening (I use butter)
5 c. sugar
5 eggs
2 1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/4 t. lemon extract
2 1/2 c. buttermilk or sour milk
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.  In a large mixer bowl beat shortening for 30 seconds.  Add sugar and beat till fluffy.  Add eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract and beat well.  Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to shortening mixture, beating till well mixed.  Divide in half.  Cover and chill at least 3 hours or till easy to handle.  ( my notes: this is a very soft and sticky dough...don't over do the flour)

For large cookies, roll dough 1/2 inch thick.  Cut into rounds with a 3 inch cookie cutter.  For small cookies, roll dough 3/8 inch thick and cut into rounds with a 2 inch cookie cutter.  Place 2 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with additional sugar.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or till done.  Remove and cool.  (My notes: I've altered this recipe and it does make many cookies but they do freeze well.  This recipe the way it is written fits in a bosch mixer) This recipe has been made every year in this house.  The recipe comes from a 1985 Better Homes and Gardens Cookies for Christmas cookbook.  



The final recipe comes from a cookbook that my sisters in law put together from my late MIL's recipe files.  Every Christmas she'd make these wonderful bars and now have become fond memories for us.  

Butterscotch Bars
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. sugar
1/8 t. salt
3/4 c. butter
1/2 t. vanilla
2 c. miniature marshmallows
2 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 c. butterscotch chips
3 T. chunk style peanut butter

In a glass bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt and butter.  Microwave on high for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 min. until mixture comes to a boil, stirring twice.  Microwave boil for 2 min., stirring once.  Cool.  Stir in marshmallows and cracker crumbs.  Spread into foil lined 9x9x2" pan.  Chill.  In small glass bowl, microwave butterscotch chips and peanut butter on high for 1-1 1/2 min.  or until chips are shiny and soft.  Stir.  Blend in vanilla.  Spread over crumb mixture.  Refrigerate.  Cut into bars.  Makes 3 dozen.  

I hope everyone enjoyed this cookie swap.  



No comments:

Post a Comment